Monday, March 2, 2009

Thank Heavens for Grandmas, Mommys and Daddys that Stay Home with Sick Babies!

The Hacklemans are still battling the sickness! Reed had to come home from daycare on Thursday afternoon AGAIN and missed all day Friday. My WONDERFUL husband, sacrificed his precious days off to stay home with him, while Mommy worked crazy busy hours for the end of the month! Luckily Grandma Thompson came to everyone's rescue! After Reed's doctor's appointment and awareness of an eye, ear, and throat infection and 4 kinds of liquid medicine that he takes as well as his mother! (Yes, for those who know the story of a 2 y/o Christy, her Dad and the cough medicine...you know he is laughing his A$$ off up there in the wide blue yonder!) Grandma came to stay the weekend with us. She ended up staying until today, since Reed hadn't quite kicked it yet. So, we got yet another medicine!!! WOOO HOOO!! We have tried all the tricks that we have been told, and have concluded giving medicine to an 18 month old....STINKS!!!! I hope he is getting half, or even a quarter of it. It is definitely a 3 man job! The bright side is, I think we only have 2 more days. Is there not a way in this world to make it taste better? I don't blame the kid one bit. I don't think it smells better than it did 30 years ago when I was being force fed! I really think there might be a market in this for some up and coming pharmacist!

Anyway, the point of this post was to say how grateful we were to have Grandma come and stay! Because Reed needed his Mommy and Mommy needed her Mommy! Daddy just needed a break! The Hacklemans and Thompsons have had a rough few months and the phrase from our wedding vows keeps coming to my mind "in sickness and health" What a commitment it is to be there for everyone in sickness...at all or any levels, because the world doesn't stop for you like we'd like it to do. You have to find a way to keep on going. I've been blessed and (sometimes cursed) with the ability my parents gave to keep plugging away, but the curse comes in when you have to ask for help. It isn't an easy thing to do, for me it isn't anyway. I was raised to believe (the blessing) that I could do anything I set my mind to accomplish. I think that is true still to this day, but what I am learning slowly (the curse...slow learner that is...I think it might be stubbornness) is that most of the time I don't accomplish things by myself. I have an army of family of friends that support me and hold me up until I reach my goal. Sometimes I wait to late, until I've dug myself such a hole that I can't get out without a BIG lifeline! That's where my mom and my husband come in. They keep pulling on me to get out of this hole I'm in with work, illness (snot, snot, snot), Reed's illness, and maintaining my family order. I just need to ask and accept a little more help from time to time and accept that it takes us all doing our part (not just me) to make our home a happy place.

Sooo, after the first round (although most likely partial) dose of steroids, Reed was much more like his old cheerful self, getting into everything and talking up a storm. He went to sleep so late tonight, because he just didn't want to stop playing. When he finally gave up there was this wonderfully devilish grin on his face! I don't know if he just felt that much better, if he was high on all the drugs, or if Grandpa Thompson was whispering stories about his Mommy in his ear! I'd like to think it was either the first or the last, but if it is the last...Dad, you made your point and medicine taking could go much better tomorrow, please! :)

2 comments:

Libby said...

Poor sick Reed! And I know you are exhausted - so glad your mom could come and stay. btw kalo used to get mad too when someone said just "Reed" and not "baby Reed" :) Our pharmacist here has some flavoring he can add for 3$ but sometimes it still just can't hide it - especially cough medicine! - and I have certain antibiotics I will NOT Rx for kids b/c they taste SOOO bad - blah! Hope you are all better soon - I know the stuff going around here is taking forever to go away too - maybe b/c of all the warm weather? that's what all the old people say anyway - hehe :)

TLB said...

I think I need to hear the story about the 2-yr-old Christy, her dad and the medicine! B/c if I've heard it, I really don't remember! :)